Tuesday, December 9, 2008

To See or Not to See?

My next OB appointment will be during my 15th week of pregnancy. I saw signs during my last appointment advertising that I could find out the sex of the baby as early as 15 weeks for the low, low fee of $50. I am not sure if I want to pay $50 to find out 4 weeks early or not. At 20 weeks I can find out for free. Some people have told me stories about friends or cousins who have found out the sex of their baby early and then that result was incorrect. I was going to make it my Christmas present from Dennis, but he all ready bought my Christmas present. I am asking for any feedback/suggestions any of you might have. I can't say I'll follow all your advice, but I'd sure appreciate it.

5 comments:

Adam Stephanie KaileeJo Taydom and Hadley said...

Wait!! It is not worth it even if it was only $25. I know that you are super anxious, cause we were both times, but just think of the dissappointment that you might feel if they end up being wrong. I would just pretend that I didn't see that advertizement and wait like everyone else. At the sametime knowing is the best. Shopping is so much fun and for us it was easy to start calling the child by name. It made calling her KaileeJo super easy once she was here because we had been calling her that for so long. I would wait.

Rachel and Dennis said...

The main draw to finding out early is that I'd find out just before Christmas. For some reason I just want to know before Christmas although it seems silly to know the sex of the baby before I even look pregnant at all.

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

I had totally left a comment on here the day this got posted. But it seems to have disappeared. :(

I say wait. That early there is definitely no promise of being able to tell, or of getting it right. And that money will be way more fun to spend on something cute for the baby later on.

Plus pretty much all the major medical organizations discourage ultrasounds for any use other than diagnostic. They haven't found anything wrong with ultrasound, but they also aren't sure and like to tell people to play it safe just in case.

Resist...as hard as it is! Use the cash and get something super cute. :)

Rachel and Dennis said...

My dad doesn't know how to comment, but he told me on Sunday that he thinks we should wait and use the money to buy the baby something fun. I must admit, I agree. The end of January isn't that far away!

4cutecrabs said...

Ooh, it's hard to wait isn't it? I always wanted to know right away and may have tried to find a way to pay the $50 and find out! I am with you Rachel. But, it is a lot of money. It isn't that much further now. (For all I know, you've already paid the money and had it done!)
Linda