Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Benjamin Michael Mecham has Arrived!

Wednesday, the 20th I went in for my scheduled amniocentesis and Benjamin passed! His lungs were mature and he was ready to be born. We went straight to the hospital and I got some medicine to prepare my body to start contractions, but my doctor didn't expect any kind of progress until the next morning. After 5 hours I was dilated to a 3 and I was ready for my epidural, which went a lot better than I thought it would. An hour later I was at a 5 and I was pretty excited for how quickly labor was progressing. I started feeling a lot of pressure so after 45 minutes I called my nurse who told me I was at a 9! Unfortunately I was at a 9 for 2 hours. During this time my epidural stopped working above my hips. My anesthesiologist, who was wonderful, couldn't seem to come up with a combination of drugs to take away the feeling in my back so for the last 3 or 4 hours of labor I felt every contraction in my back and belly. At 10 centimeters my doctor came in and told me I could either push for 2 hours or he could use forceps and have him out in 5 minutes. I took the fast way out and after 3 pushes Benjamin was here! He was perfect and he had a really cute high-pitched cry. It took about 15 minutes before I could hold him so Dennis stayed with Benjamin and he got to hold him first. When I finally got to hold Benjamin, he kept looking back at Dennis. Needless to say I was a little jealous, but happy that Benjamin loves his daddy. Benjamin was born at 6:47 am on Thursday, May 21st. He weighed 7 lbs, 9 oz. and was 19 1/2 inches long. He is such a sweet baby and he's very content. He loves to look at mom and dad and likes to be held close. We are so happy to have him with us.






4 comments:

Wendy said...

Congratulations to you! What a trooper working through the worn off epidural. I would have just died! He is so big! Sophie was 6lbs 2 oz. I am really excited for you.

Jaggers Brain said...

Yeah!!! We are all so happy for you and Dennis! And so excited to meet Ben! But don't rush back to us! Enjoy your little family! Call if you need anything!

Lindsey H. said...

Yay! What a cute little boy you have there. I'm so excited for you guys!

Elizabeth said...

3 pushes! I'm jealous, it took me an hour. He is really cute.