Thursday, March 26, 2009

Return of the Prodigal

I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to update my blog; I get upset when blogs I follow aren't updated regularly so I know how you feel. My last ultrasound gave me some worrying news and it's taken me a few days to process it. Also, I've been seeing a lot of family and I feel like I'm always busy! I only got one picture of my last ultrasound and the picture is really grainy and blurry, but it's a picture of Benjamin's little face. Ben is in the 60th percentile for his age as far as weight goes, which is pretty darn good for the baby of a diabetic mother. However, he is breech (and has remained breech ever since with his little bottom facing down instead of his head). He still loves to keep his legs up by his head and during the ultrasound, he got the hiccups, which was adorable. Every few seconds he would just jump a little bit. The ultrasound showed that the umbilical cord is wrapped around his neck. My doctor ordered weekly (and someday bi-weekly) Non-Stress tests. The Non-Stress test is...not stressful except for the reason behind it. All I do is sit reclined in a comfy chair and I have a fetal heartbeat monitor attached to me. They listen to Ben's heartbeat for about 1/2 hour and also sometimes record his breathing (well, practice breathing since he's in fluid and isn't really breathing). They sometimes do an ultrasound there as well to make sure everything is still developing normally. I love getting to see Benjamin every week, but I hope the cord comes off his neck so I don't have to be so stressed by these Non-Stress tests! I'll be sure to (try to) keep you all posted as the weeks progress.

4 comments:

Jaggers Brain said...

Rach!!! I can't believe you haven't said anything... that seems so scary. You're being really strong and I will keep Ben in my prayers... I am grateful you have such diligent doctors who are taking such good care of you and Ben!

Wendy said...

Yikes! That is really unnerving. I hope everything turns out okay. You will be in our prayers.

beccarose said...

Good luck w/ everything. Hopefully your baby will turn and get away from that "necklace"!

Rachel and Dennis said...

Thank you all very much for your support. I must admit the few days after getting that news I barely kept it together at work and spent most of the evening in tears. Then I just kept reminding myself that lots of babies are born with the cords around their necks (Dennis was) and that there was still hope for him to wiggle out of it. I feel a lot more calm about it now and Ben has been active as ever so I know everything will be as it's supposed to.